Jerusalem – Two Stabbing Attacks Strike Capital Within Minutes


    Israeli medics and emergency personnel evacuate a wounded Israeli from the scene of a stabbing in Pisgat Zeev November 10, 2015. REUTERSJerusalem – Two terrorist attacks took place in the capital within minutes of each other on Tuesday afternoon.

    In the first attack, at roughly 12:30 p.m., a security guard was stabbed in the upper torso at a Jerusalem light rail station in the Pisgat Ze’ev neighborhood.

    According to Police spokeswoman Luba Samri, the guard was accosted by two Palestinian minors, ages 12 and 13, one of whom stabbed him with a knife before the guard shot and disarmed him.

    “Passengers on the train took control of the second attacker until the rapid arrival of police,” said Samri.

    The condition of the shot assailant remains unclear.

    Pat Station Commander, Chief Superintendent Avi Cohen praised the security guard and train passengers for their quick actions.

    “The rapid determination of the guard and tram passengers prevented more innocent people from being harmed,” he said in a statement.

    The unidentified security guard was treated at the scene by Magen David Adom paramedics before being transferred to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in fair condition, Sami said.

    An amateur video that surfaced on a Palestinian website showed plainclothes Israeli security men wrestling a young boy, presumably one of the attackers, to the ground and taking off his clothes and shoes. The boy was stripped to his underwear as the security men shouted at him.
    Israeli security forces at the scene of an attempted stabbing attack near Damascus Gate, Jerusalem, November 10, 2015. The suspected Palestinian man was immediately shot by security forces at the scene, and died of his wounds at hospital. Photo by Hadas Parush/Flash90
    Minutes later, a 37-year-old terrorist wielding a knife charged two security guards at Damascus Gate in Jerusalem’s Old City.

    Samri said one of the guards shot him, leaving him in critical condition.

    After being treated at the scene by paramedics, he was transferred to Hadassah University Medical Center in Mount Scopus.

    Kedem Police District commander Chief Superintendent Chaim Shmueli praised the security guards for their quick actions and emphasized that the capital will remain on a heightened level of security.

    Prior to Tuesday’s attacks, the most recent terrorist attack in the capital took place on October 30 at the Ammunition Hill light rail stop, when an Arab man stabbed a Jewish man before being shot dead by police.

    A second Jewish man was accidentally shot in the leg by police in the ensuing crossfire. The victims are now in satisfactory or good condition.

    For nearly two weeks before that, over 5,000 deployed Border Police officers – aided by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) and the IDF – had succeeded in preventing any serious attacks in the city for nearly two weeks.‎

    Listen to the VINnews podcast on:

    iTunes | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean | Amazon

    Follow VosIzNeias For Breaking News Updates

    Connect with VINnews

    Join our WhatsApp group

    Most Voted
    Newest Oldest
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments