Kiryas Joel, NY – KJ Boy Dies After Being Poisoned By Toxic Product, Possibly Mistaken For Chocolate Syrup

    17

    Kiryas Joel, NY – A four year old Kiryas Joel boy died Tuesday morning after being apparently poisoned by a common household cleaning agent.

    Join our WhatsApp group

    Subscribe to our Daily Roundup Email


    A law enforcement source who spoke to VIN News on condition of anonymity said that Yitzchak Menashe Schwartz was in the kitchen of his home when he came into contact with Whink Rust Stain Remover, whose brown plastic bottle and white top may have looked like a bottle of chocolate syrup to the preschooler.

    It is unknown if the child ingested or inhaled the chemicals and he was rushed to Orange Regional Medical Center in Middletown before being transported by helicopter to Westchester Medical Center for more advanced treatment.

    According to the source, doctors identified extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), a heart lung bypass system, as the best course of treatment for the boy, but his vital organs shut down before the hospital could assemble the large team of caregivers required for the complex procedure to attach the child to the machinery which could have given him a 60 percent chance of survival.

    Recommended for removing rust stains in white sinks, white toilets and colorfast fabrics and colors, Whink Rust Stain Remover was voted into the Environmental Working Group’s “Hall of Shame” of toxic household cleaners because of its potentially harmful or fatal side effects, as reported by CBS News (https://cbsn.ws/2GoPagl).

    The product’s label warns consumers “Danger: may be fatal or cause permanent damage” and to “keep out of reach of children.”

    Whink Rust Stain Remover contains hydrofluoric acid which, according to the Centers for Disease Control, can easily penetrate the skin and get into body tissue, where it can affect major internal organs and be fatal.

    The American Journal of Industrial Medicine reported nine fatal cases of occupational poisoning over an 11 year period, all of which were caused by unsafe work practices.

    Rust-Oleum, which makes a full line of Whink cleaning products, was not immediately available to comment on the boy’s death.


    Listen to the VINnews podcast on:

    iTunes | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean | Amazon

    Follow VINnews for Breaking News Updates


    Connect with VINnews

    Join our WhatsApp group


    17 Comments
    Most Voted
    Newest Oldest
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments
    6 years ago

    Hashem yarecheim!

    PaulinSaudi
    PaulinSaudi
    6 years ago

    How very sad.

    Aron1
    Active Member
    Aron1
    6 years ago

    Boruch Dayan HaEmes.
    Please, think before you post.

    adar29
    adar29
    6 years ago

    Baruch Dayan HaEmet

    zshine
    zshine
    6 years ago

    They must change that bottle! To a small child, it does indeed look like chocolate syrup! Years ago, an Israeli bochur took sugar from the shul’s kitchen cabinet and added it to his coffee. His liver shut down and he died before he could be flown to Europe to receive a liver transplant. It wasn’t sugar; it was rat poison. In a separate incident, a powder was assumed to be baby formula, but it wasn’t!
    Adults! Please! 1) Poisons must be clearly labeled. 2) Poisons should never be left on surfaces designed for food, like kitchen tables and counters. This is especially difficult during the run up to Pesach, but a little caution prevents injuries and saves lives of loved ones!

    Secular
    Secular
    6 years ago

    Heartbreaking

    Butterfly
    Butterfly
    6 years ago

    I put locks on all cabinets with poisons when my child was born. It is a pain but well worth it!!