JERUSALEM (VINnews) — The full coalition agreements for the new Bennett-Lapid government have been revealed in the past few hours and include a number of proposals which the parties involved in the government wish to promote and which could cause irrevocable harm to chareidi interests. Most of these proposals appear in the agreement between Lapid’s Yesh Atid party and Avigdor Liberman’s Yisrael Beitenu party, but it should be noted that Bennett and Saar could still prevent many of them from being implemented since the Knesset still has a majority of right-wing, pro-tradition MKs.Click to get Text Message Updates right to your phone
Join our WhatsApp group
The proposals include:
- the cancellation of the Western Wall framework, which would allow the Reform movevent to conduct prayers in an area adjacent to the Western Wall compound.
- The cancellation of the Supermarket Law, which would allow each individual municipality to legislate by-laws allowing supermarkets to open on Shabbos without requiring the authorization of the Minister of Interior, effectively opening the way to mass Shabbos desecration in municipalities with a secular majority.
- Core studies law which would require every educational institution to integrate the core studies, with possible cancellation of all budgetary allocations to institutions which refuse to integrate the core studies.
- Civil Union law would allow marriage to be conducted not in accordance with halacha and would allow same-sex marriages in contravention of halacha
- Public transport on Shabbat is being promoted by incoming Transport Minister Merav Michaeli (Labor) and chareidi parties feel that a law permitting such transport would be irrevocable as the Supreme Court would deem it a basic right.
- Kashrus reforms- Yisrael Beitenu propose allowing local rabbis to provide Kashrus not just in their own city but in all cities in the country and this would lead to competition in the Kashrus market which could weaken the quality of Kashrus provided.
- Reform conversion: In accordance with a recent decision by the Supreme Court, the coalition would allow every city rabbi to perform conversions and this could lead to reform rabbis converting gentiles in contravention of halacha but they would be recognized as Jews by the Interior Ministry leading to problems with Jewish lineage.
- Transfer of Chief Rabbinate to Zionist rabbis: In another two years the Chief Rabbis will be elected and if a religious Zionist party is in control they will be try to promote religious Zionist rabbis and rabbinical judges, since there will be no chareidi representatives in the committee for appointing rabbinical judges.