NEW YORK (VINnews) — There is a fake letter being spread on social media in the name of Rav Hershel Schachter, written on his letterhead, in which he seems to prohibit people from attending a controversial event hosted by his close talmid, Rabbi Efrem Goldberg, in the Boca Raton Synagogue.
The letter has been debunked by multiple sources, and the shul has put out a statement saying that Rabbi Schachter has given the event his blessing.
There were many strong indications that the letter is a fake:
- It is poorly worded and uses improper syntax
- The letterhead is blurry and appears to be Photoshopped
- It contains multiple grammatical errors.
- It was sent from Rabbi Schachter’s “gmail” account
- The letter falsely says that the event is taking place in Rabbi Schachter’s shul, not Boca Raton Synagogue
In addition, sources on Twitter say they confirmed with Rabbi Schachter that the letter is a fake.
The event scheduled for today, January 11, is a highly touted conference to discuss American support for Israel. It features keynote speaker David Friedman, in addition to Ben Shapiro and other high-profile Jewish activists.
The event and Rabbi Goldberg have come under fire, because one of the guest speakers, Pastor Mario Bramnick, the head of “Latino Coalition for Israel”, is an Evangelical missionary with a history of making controversial comments, suggesting that he wants to persuade Jews to join his Christian movement.
PASTOR BRAMNICK SAYS HE NEEDS TO TEACH JEWS ABOUT LOVE OF JESUS RABBI EFREM GOLDBERG IS ACCEPTING THE OFFER BY BRINGING HIM TO SPEAK TO 1000 JEWISH FAMILIES IN BOCA RATON SYNAGOGUE pic.twitter.com/lBuuG7LGpa
— Rabbi Yaron Reuven (@YaronReuven) January 6, 2022
Why would they get involved with a clergy member of another religion?
אוי לרשע ואוי לשכנו
If you hang out with dogs, you get fleas.
1. Why is this our business? Rabbi Goldberg is a hired rabbi in a shul. If the shul wants to have this event , then let them do what they want to. Why is this the business of anyone who is not a member of that shul? I am sure it will be hosted in the social hall and not in the main bais medrash.
2. The seforno , whose peirush is in the chamisha chumshei torah, learned with a priest. It is due to his ” chavrusashaf, that the talmud was not destroyed in Italy. It was that priest who stood up for the talmud.
3. There should be no place in our community for bullies.
4. Plse dont write lashon hara about talmidei chachomim. Rav Schecter may not be your rav , but he is a tremendous talmid chachom. Speaking and or writing lashon harah about a chachom is an issur deoraisa of the highest level
but why isn’t it highly problematic?
so why isn’t this is an issue? whats the heter?
Not even R’ JB Soloveichik would approve such a chillul Hashem in a shul!
I think the forgery was written by Yaron Reuven or one of his loyalists.
The grammar errors eerily resemble the grammar errors of the BeEzrat Hashem Inc. website.
Why aren’t you screaming about this. Destroying a great mans reputation
Goldberg has to remove the sifrei Torah when this Christian is being metame the building!
And the wars between Jews carries on
Why attack this pastor if he is our friend, Irrelevant of his beliefs he is our friend and supports the Jewish people, nobody is changing religions because of him and he’s not coming to preach that subject,we have enough enemies we don’t need to make anymore
It’s worse, Hershel Schachter approves it.
How can the tzibur know these days what true daas torah is when people are making things up in the name of gedolim??
Causeless hatred in the diaspora
so who wrote it?
I don’t know if it’s a real letter or fake letter, but now that they put up a sign in this so called Shul, rabbi shachter has to come out in public what he thinks about a Christian missionary preaching in a Shul
I’m surprised this event is taking place but if Rabbi Schachter approves he has his reasons. I would love to hear them.
Where is Rabbi Schechters statement?
anything Reuven and Mizrachi are against must be good
It appears that Rabbi(?) Schachter didn’t write this letter. But an honest and decent man, and certainly everybody worthy of the moniker “Rabbi,” would.
When Y.U. aka תורה ומדע gets twisted together and mixed up like a cholent, inviting an idle worshiper into such a holy place is completely acceptable. And this is just but one example out of many.
To be clear its still crucial to get along with evangelical and stay allies with them. The question is does his belong in b medresh
Hershel Schachter also believes in a pre-arranged Gett which all our poskim are screaming
Boca Raton Synagogue is a liberal place, they have Chabad Lubavitch events there too.
It was surprising originally that
r shechter would say the emes