JERUSALEM (JNS) – Egyptian mediators are close to forging a cease-fire deal between Israel and Palestinian Islamic Jihad that could go into effect as early as Sunday evening, according to several media reports.Join our WhatsApp group
Subscribe to our Daily Roundup Email
Reuters cited an Egyptian source as saying that Israel has accepted a proposed truce deal, which Cairo has asked begin Sunday night at 8:00 p.m. local time.
The reports said that Egypt would make an announcement on the matter at 5:00 p.m. local time.
They also cited Israeli government sources as saying that Jerusalem had previously agreed to a cease-fire offer but PIJ rejected the terms.
For his part, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi was quoted by media as saying on Saturday that his envoys have been engaged “around the clock” with a view to preventing the situation from spiraling out of control.
The Israel Defense Forces’s “Operation Breaking Dawn” entered its third day on Sunday, as PIJ resumed firing rockets into the Jewish state. As of Sunday morning, terrorists from Gaza had fired some 600 projectiles towards the Jewish state since hostilities broke out, according to the IDF.
The Iron Dome missile defense system successfully intercepted about 97 percent of the approximately 200 projectiles that were headed for populated regions. About 120 of the rockets fell short in Gaza, killing at least nine people, said the IDF.
The IDF said that it has struck some 140 assets belonging to PIJ in Gaza since launching “Operation Breaking Dawn” on Friday afternoon.
The Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) director reportedly told members of the Security Cabinet on Saturday night that Jerusalem had already achieved most of its objectives in the operation.