MONSEY (VINnews) — A bus driver for a Chassidic school involved in a major accident in Monsey last month was arraigned in criminal court Tuesday.Join our WhatsApp group
Subscribe to our Daily Roundup Email
The driver allegedly drove recklessly, and is accused of allegedly endangering the lives of children and others. He was charged with four felonies, including second degree assault and reckless endangerment, as well as twenty-one misdemeanor counts of child endangerment and thirty-one traffic infractions. .
In December, video footage appeared to show that the bus allegedly slammed into a home and pinned a car underneath it. According to reports, 21 people, mostly children, were extricated from the wreck and 9 were transported to nearby hospitals, including at least 5 to trauma centers, with 2 in serious condition.
The police issued the following press release:
On December 1st, 2022 Ramapo Police Department responded…in regards to a school bus that had crashed into a house. Upon arrival, there was extensive property damage and multiple injuries to children on the bus whose ages ranged between 4 years old and 10 years old.
The driver has been charged with:
- Three counts of Assault in the Second Degree (D Felony)
- One count of Reckless Endangerment in the first degree (D Felony)
- Twenty-one counts of Endangering the welfare of a child (A misdemeanor)
- One count of Reckless Driving (Misdemeanor)
- The Driver is also being charged with a total of thirty-one (31) traffic infractions.
The driver was arraigned…and released without bail returnable to the Village of New Hempstead Court.